Monday, December 13, 2010

My Thoughts On The Chrome O/S

Just signed up for the Chrome O/S pilot program. The program attempts to marry it’s current beta stage software, with an attractive hardware platform and potential user.

The cynic in me scoffs at the idea of uniting an experimental operating system with a hardcore Google fan base. I find the idea somewhat counter-productive because of my doubts regarding the ability of a fundamentalist (or rather a dumb-damentalist) to be objective.

Google: [earnestly] How can we make this better?

[long pause]

Google fan-boy: [sincere; a slight tremble in the upper-lip] Can you make it any better? [bats eyelids]

If the engineers at Google plan to make a viable operating system they need two things:

+ Really smart programmers capable of combining a design aesthetic with simplicity. (An emphasis on security would be three things…)

+ Unbiased feedback: in the form of anecdotal experiences from the tech-savvy and from the open-minded “every” person sort of user.

In short, I think Google needs to follow Apple’s lead and develop a hardware platform that emphasizes a chic, modern aesthetic and an operating system that emphasizes minimalism, simplicity and ease-of-use.

I am a big fan of the Chrome web browser for a few of the above-mentioned reasons and I use the Chrome web browser almost exclusively now.

I would love a chance to be part of the Chrome O/S pilot program and I have applied for a unit. My next few entries will detail my experiences with the “do no evil” guys and their forthcoming operating system.

Wish me luck!

No comments: