Friday, December 31, 2010

Tron: Legacy Soundtrack...

Tron: Legacy Soundtrack Review

By Daft Punk


"The Grid: A digital frontier. I tried to picture clusters of information as they moved through the computer. What did they look like? Ships? Motorcycles? Were the circuits like freeways? I kept dreaming of a world I thought I'd never see and then, one day, I got in…"


I just wanted to include a very informal review of the Tron: Legacy soundtrack by Daft Punk on my blog because I feel that this music, is in some ways more powerful than the film (which I enjoyed immensely) and Daft Punk's musical score not only enhances the film, but stands as a body of work.

The opening piece, called "Overture", is emphatic and pounding and sets the tone for the entire score. This is Electronica at it's absolute finest! This is Mozart, had he 21st century technology…

The track "Armory" is very minimalist in tone and texture. This track is, what I could only describe as, seductive: inviting you into its mono-tonality and leaving you yearning for more. Fortunately, your ears won't linger unsatisfied for very long.

"Arena" & "Rinzler" take a turn towards the martial. Both tracks prominently feature a pounding, synth heavy rhythm. Basically, imagine Basil Poledouris' Conan The Barbarian soundtrack done with synthesizers. Both are excellent examples of powerfuliy evocative music.

"Adagio For Tron" can only be described as brilliant. Not since, Paul Oakenfold's remix "Adagio For Strings" have electronic musicians so succinctly captured the spirit of classical composition. Amazing, amazing stuff.

"The Game Has Changed" is a nice piece that is featured prominently in the theatrical trailer and is great example of how music can create a mental image in your head. I could listen to the track a hundred times and not tire of it.

"End Of The Line" is another gem. Smooth, silky, inviting, dare I say almost erotic. A refined example of what electronic music can be in the hands of skilled musicians.

Overall the soundtrack feels very minimalist, very Phillip Glass-esque. This music will create a powerful mental image in your mind and have you imagining the afore mentioned digital frontier over and over again...

All told there are 23 amazing tracks for a paltry $4.99USD on Amazon. This is a pittance when you consider Daft Punk's achievement. There is a reason why this soundtrack was more highly anticipated than the feature film and I will be the first one to admit that they did not fail to live up to the hype and deliver the goods.

I whole-heartedly recommend this soundtrack to anyone who is a fan of film soundtracks, electronica and just great music.
 Fight for the user and give it a listen… 

No comments: